Forty students were asked to name their favorite pet. The following table lists the results. When Erick recounted the votes later, he realized 3 of the votes that had actually been cast for cats got recorded as votes for dogs. What is the difference between the original percent of votes cast for cats and the corrected percent of votes for cats?
In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, point A is located at (w,w + 5) and point B is located at (4w,w-- 5). In coordinate units, what is the distance between A and B?
(A) (B) (C) 9w2 + 100 (D) (E) |w|
Correct Answer: B
A parabola with vertex (-3,-2) and axis of symmetry y = -2 crosses the y-axis at (0, -2 + 3). At what other point does the parabola cross the y-axis?
（A）No other point （B） (0,2 + 3) （C） (0,2 - 3) （D） (0,-2 - 3) （E） Cannot be determined from the given information
Correct Answer: D
Two professors were hired to begin work at the same time. Professor A's contract called for a starting salary of $50,000 with an increase of $1,500 after each year of employment. Professor B's contract called for a starting salary of $42,000 with an increase of $2,800 after each year of employment. If y represents the number of full years of employment (that is, the number of yearly increases each professor has received), which of the following equations could be solved to determine the number of years until B's yearly salary equals A's yearly salary?
（A）50, 000 + 1, 500y = 42, 000 + 2, 800y （B） 50, 000 + 2, 800y = 42, 000 + 1, 500y （C） 1, 500y + 2, 800y = y （D） 1, 500y + 2, 800y = 42, 000 （E） 1, 500y + 2, 800y = 50, 000
Correct Answer: A
More ACT Math Exam Questions
- 1The average of 5 numbers is 7. If each of the numbers is decreased by 4, what is the average of the 5 new numbers?
- 270 is 10% of what number?
- 3In the figure shown below, bisects BAD, and bisects CAE What is the measure of CAD?
- 4An integer from 10 through 99, inclusive, is to be chosen at random. What is the probability that the number chosen will have 0 as at least 1 digit?
- 5In the figure shown below, and intersect at O and is perpendicular to . What is the value of 3p + 4s - 2t?